For a lot of folks, 2016 will go down as one of the WORST years of the 21st century thus far. But! There is magic in the madness.
Let me break it down.
2+0+1+6 = 9: Completion
2+0+1+7 = 10 = 1: Beginnings
In numerology, cycles occur in 9 year periods. With 2016 being the year of 9, it is a year of endings, transformation, and karma. For us to begin the new cycle of 1 (year 2017), we must first tie up loose ends, let go of the things that no longer serve us, and deal with karmic debts that we have collected over these past 9 years.
With this knowledge, when we look back on 2016, things make a WHOLE lot more sense. I’m not going to go into details, but this year has been FULL of death and transmutation (physical and energetic/spiritual) as well as karmic retribution (:coughs: Trump).
And this shows up not just in our “outer” worlds. Looking at your own life throughout this year, you may notice this theme of completion showing up in substantial ways.
In a 9 year, it is not uncommon for shit to really hit the fan towards the end of the year. It may seem like things are literally being ripped from you. While it may be an unpleasant experience, you are being prompted by Spirit to tie up those loose ends FAST so that you can go into 2017 with a clean slate.
In the last month and a half, I was fired from my job, cut off a slew of people from my life, and, through a dramatic and exhausting chain of events, decided to leave my home.
And I can't lie, it ain’t been easy, but, damn do I feel free!
So, like they say, “Let go, or be dragged.” But trust, when it is time for you to go, you WILL go. For those of you struggling to let go of that job, that environment, those people, that attitude, those beliefs, etc that no longer serve you and your HIGHEST good, here are 10 tips to assist you in your purging process.
1. Clean up your social media pages. Unfollow and unfriend people that you don’t fuck with and/or don’t vibe with what they are posting.
2. Go through your phone contacts. Delete any people you don’t talk to or don’t want to be connected to. Delete old pictures, texts, and voicemails.
4. Go through your closets. Donate or sell any clothing that you have not worn in a year or have outgrown physically or energetically/ aesthetically.
5. Go through your computer, email accounts, and at home work spaces. Delete old emails and virtual files. Throw away or recycle old medical files, training materials, school/training assignments, bills, etc.
6. Write down your old story, from birth to now. Write down your struggles, your pain, your trauma, and any beliefs you have about how those experiences limit your capabilities, or make you powerless or less than. Burn that story. Write a new story that serves you. How have those experiences worked in your favor? How did those experiences empower, enlighten, and grow you? Don’t know? Make something up! Who do you want to be? How do you want to exist in this world? Write that story using IAM statements.
7. Get still. Meditate for at least 15 minutes a day leading up to 2017.
8. Detoxify. Take a detoxifying bath with epsom and sea salts, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and peppermint essential oil once a week leading up to 2017.
9. If you are holding onto old resentments and hurt, write a letter. Address your letter to anyone you are angry with or feeling hurt or betrayed by. Don’t hold anything back. When you are done, put an empty chair in front of you. Imagine that person (one at a time if there are multiple people) in the chair and read the letter to them. After, burn the letter(s).
10. Write a list of all to the things you are letting go of in 2016. Burn it. Write a list of all that you are creating and will do in 2017.
Wishing you an abundant year and magical beginnings. Happy New Year!
Jamila Kani is a witch of many trades. Through her collective, Black Femme Witches Brew, she co-creates spaces for black femmes to reclaim their magic and step into their power as Creators.